The Frailty of the American Job Market:
Even with the very worst of The Great Recession largely behind America, the lingering apprehension U.S. workers hold toward their job security still hangs over heads nationwide. The US News & World Report recently stated that “the latest employment reports show the economy is in trouble, and traditional approaches aren’t working.”* The frailty of the American job market has reshaped the way workers structure their professional strategies.
Growing numbers of workers are creating secondary incomes by Moonlighting. Moonlighting has seen an increase in the number of full time workers starting to Moonlight on nights and weekends. For example, office workers providing their computer, bookkeeping, and marketing skills have contributed to doubling the “Business Services” available on Moonlighting over the past month. The gender balance remains relatively even with Men making up 54% of new Moonlighters and Women the remaining 46%.
Moonlighting not only provides a boost to those with full-time incomes, it provides a bridge to keep those between full-time jobs “above water.” Many people enjoy freelancing in their spare time, while others have chosen to leave “toxic” work environments behind them to pursue a path they are passionate about. These passions are evident in the diversity of the opportunities available.